Getting into a car accident can be a stressful experience. In the aftermath, it’s hard to remember what to do. We all hope an accident never happens, but here at Focus Insurance, we want to ensure you’re not unprepared.
Here are five actions you should take after a car accident:
- Get to a safe location, and turn off your car. Make sure it’s safe to exit your vehicle. Then, turn your vehicle off, as a gas leak could lead to a fire.
- Contact the local police. They can file an official incident report and collect information from everyone involved. If you’ve crashed in an area where it is unsafe to exit your vehicle (like a highway), the police can also help you get to a safe place.
- Get information from the other driver(s) and police. This includes the driver’s name, driver’s license, vehicle make/model, insurance company and policy number, address, and contact information.
- Take photos of the damage and write down every detail. At the scene, take photos of your car and any others involved, including vehicle license plates. As soon as you get home, write down all the details you can remember about the accident.
- Contact your insurance agent to file a claim. Don’t wait! If you’re involved in a car accident in Eureka, MO—or anywhere in the world—call your insurance company to report the incident as soon as possible.
However, the most important step you can take before an accident occurs is to ensure you have sufficient car insurance coverage. This simple step will give you peace of mind.
Have questions about car insurance coverage? Contact us at Focus Insurance today so you’re prepared for tomorrow. We are proud to serve the Eureka, MO area.